The Clean Valley Council is a non-profit organization that has provided litter prevention and recycling educational and outreach programs to residents of the Roanoke Valley since 1978. CVC’s programs and events spread the word about litter prevention, recycling, waste reduction, stormwater pollution prevention and protecting our natural resources. We are the go to resource for local recycling information. CVC provides free educational resources and programming for the school systems, the public and the municipalities in the cities of Roanoke and Salem, the counties of Botetourt and Roanoke and the town of Vinton. We host and sponsor several valley-wide litter cleanup events and other environmental events each year.
The Clean Valley Councils programs reach youth and adults of all ages and demographics. It is important to form healthy habits early and teach that each one can make decisions that will support a healthy environment. We encourage stewardship and leadership with education promoting habits and practices that protect our waterways, natural resources and our lands. Each of us is a steward of our environment and has influence on the health and beauty of the place we live – the beautiful Roanoke Valley.
Services Clean Valley Council provides for the Roanoke Valley Area:
- FREE Environmental Education Programs for Schools:
- Environmental Educators provide free, SOL linked programs for schools in the City of Roanoke, Roanoke County, City of Salem, Town of Vinton, and Botetourt County.
- Valley-Wide Litter Clean up Events:
- Annual Clean Valley Day and
- Annual Fall Waterways Cleanup
- Stormwater pollution prevention outreach:
- Storm drain stenciling program
- Stream schools
- Public education through presentations
- Roanoke River Fest and Recycled Regatta- a fun event, to learn about river health and watershed issues, while having fun on the river
- Outreach Events:
- We attend yearly festivals, events, and civic group meetings with Information booths, activities and presentations on our core environmental topics. Attendance includes – Roanoke River Fest, Earth Day Roanoke, Tons of Fun, Radical Reels, GoFest, presentations given to civic organizations such as Lions Club, Kiwanis, Garden Clubs, etc.