Waste Disposal for Businesses



Properly disposing of waste is not just a personal responsibility. Some kinds of waste, usually hazardous, must be properly disposed of according to law set forth by the Environmental Protection Agency. Toxic waste can seep into the ground and contaminate our water supplies, and sometimes cause widespread disease. 




Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Vinton:


Roanoke Valley Resource Authority now has a permanent Household Hazardous Waste facility at the Tinker Creek Transfer Station. For information: http://www.rvra.net/Default.htm


The following items are accepted:

#1 and #2 plastic bottles


News & Office Paper


Metal & Aluminum cans


Untreated Wood waste

Tires - (limit 4)

Lead Acid

Automobile Batteries

Used Antifreeze

(max 5 gallons per visit)

Used Motor Oil

(max 5 gallons per visit)

Aerosol Cans

More items are allowed at monthly collection events:

On the 3rd Saturday of each month, beginning at 12:00 Noon, residents of County of Roanoke, City of Roanoke and Town of Vinton can bring in the following items.   You must pre-register to bring items to these events. This enables us to have adequate staff on hand to assist with the unloading of materials. 


You must register no later than 24 hours prior to the event. You can register online  www.rvra.net  or by calling 857-5071.


The following items are accepted at these these FREE events, with limits of 75lbs of solids and 5 gallons of liquids:


Cleaning Products


- Drain Cleaners

- Wood & Metal Cleaners

- Polishes

- Toilet Cleaners

- Tub, Tile, Shower Cleaners

- Bleach

- Pool Chemicals

- Oven Cleaners

- Degreasers

Indoor Pesticides


- Ant Poisons
- Cockroach Poisons
- Flea Repellants
- Household Insecticides
- Moth Repellants
- Mouse & Rat Poisons

Automotive Products


- Motor Oil

- Fuel Additives

- Carburetor and Fuel Injector Cleaners

- Air Conditioning Refrigerants

- Starting Fluids

- Automotive Batteries

- Transmission and Brake Fluid

- Antifreeze

- Gasoline/Diesel Fuel

Workshop/Painting Supplies


- Adhesives and Glue

- Furniture Strippers

- Oil or Enamel Based Paint

- Stains and Finishes

- Paint Thinners and Turpentine

- Paint Strippers and Removers

- Photographic Chemicals

- Fixatives and other solvents

Outdoor Lawn and Garden


- Herbicides

- Insecticides

- Wood Preservatives/Fungicides

- Pesticides

- Fertilizer

- Weed Killers

- Driveway Sealer



- Rechargeable small sealed lead acid batteries

- Rechargeable Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd) Batteries

- Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) Batteries

- Rechargeable Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Batteries

- Alkaline / Zinc Carbon Batteries

Other Flammable Products


- Propane Tanks and Cylinders

- Lighter Fluid

- Home Heating Oil

- Kerosene

- Aerosol Cans

- Gas/Oil Mixtures

- Nail Polish Removers



- Mercury containing thermostats

- Mercury thermometers



- Pool/spa chemicals

- Light bulbs: fluorescent and incandescent

- Metallic Mercury

Items NOT Accepted:

Biologically active or infectious materials
Explosive (including ammunition) - contact Police or Sherriff's department
Cylinders (excluding 8lb. barbeque tanks) - check with local Gas Company.
Radioactive Materials


City of Salem
Save below items for household hazardous products day.
Oil paint, used motor oil, batteries, chemicals, tires, TVs, computers, propane tanks, fluorescent bulbs. Call the Salem Board of Health at (978) 741-1800 for additional information. http://www.salemva.gov/depts/swd/index.html


Botetourt County: Items accepted from Botetourt County residents at the Convenience Center during regular hours:
Used motor oil
Anti freeze
Fluorescent tubes and bulbs
Propane Barbeque tanks
Car batteries
Household batteries
* no containers larger than five gallons
Botetourt County periodically sponsors household hazardous materials collection days. Please check http://www.botetourt.org/living/trash.php.

Print this page